Friday, September 14, 2012

I got off with a warning...

I've been locking the poultry up at night for protection, and it's been working.

This morning, after a late night doing "real" work, I was awakened by the cat at 6 am (grrr), and the peahens alarm calling. I struggled to put on clothes and shoes in my groggy state. By the time I got out there all I could see was that there were turkeys that weren't locked up, and everyone was looking towards my horse trailer. I couldn't see anything.

I half-consciously counted beaks, decided that everyone was there and went back to bed. I should mention that I have a fish tank in my bedroom - a small 10 gal. with 3 guppies - to help deflect energy back into the room from an alcove at the end of the closet. With that running, my ability to hear any sort of ruckus before it escalates is pretty much nil. I can't move the fish tank, so I'll need to come up with something else (maybe a baby alarm...)

So, when I got up again at 7:30, I had a cup of coffee and went down to seriously count beaks, because I realized that I hadn't heard the roo...

Everyone is there and breathing and walking and following me around. Whew! This means, in addition to what I had planned for today (here), I need to get fence moved and connected to the charger. I can do that. I can do that. How am I going to do that?

A parting shot of a very curious turkey hen:


And a gratuitous shot of Mr. Big:

1 comment:

Theresa said...

Glad everyone is oaky, but I had to laugh at the idea of counting beaks. Sounds like a great idea for a children's counting book to me!