Monday, February 13, 2012

Where does the time go???

Here we are, half-way through February, and I haven't posted anything this year (up 'til now).

I'm embarrassed...

I have been distracted. I have had work to do, but that's not the biggest thing.

I've been looking for a horse. I sold Annie, after getting dumped in October, and again in early January, I realized that I can't handle a green horse. My riding confidence took a huge hit. I found a wonderful home for her in California, where her new owner is going to pack her into the mountains for a few months and then continue her saddle training. The pictures that she's sent me look like Annie is very happy (she has hay, she's happy!!).

I started taking lessons again. I found a wonderful instructor in Redmond, with school horses (who are worth at least twice their weight in gold!!). This has done wonders for my confidence. My instructor tells me that I'm a good rider, that my seat is there, my aids are there, I'm just rusty.

I have driven all over Oregon looking. Out of the 12 horses that I've looked at, I've ridden 4. Either the pictures weren't accurate, or the manners were too lacking (once I got kicked in the thigh), so only a few have been ridden. There is currently a very good prospect that I'm hoping to take to my lesson this week and get an opinion from a knowledgeable professional. If it works out, I'll introduce you.

I've also been looking for a place to rent. I have found one! It's outside of town about 12 miles, on just under 3 acres. It's an older mobile home, but it should do the trick! I can have the dogs, chickens, and... a horse. I have to put in some fencing, but that won't take long, and they'll take it off my rent.

Yesterday, Correy, Sue (another fiber fiend friend) went over to line shelves, etc., and clean. It hadn't been cleaned (or a guy did it...). Anyway 6 hours, a pizza and soft drinks later, we had it presentable. I called the landlord this morning and requested that they have the carpets professionally cleaned, after explaining what we had to clean the day before (it was really gross). They are getting them cleaned tomorrow - YAY! Then I can start moving in!!

So, in the spirit of having a cozy house to live in, I'll leave you with a picture of the inaugural fire:

2 comments:

Leigh said...

The fire looks so welcoming too! Laura sounds like the year has gotten off to a really good start for you! I'm so glad. You had your share of ups and downs last year. May this one be smooth sailing.

Sharon said...

Like :)