Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Sometimes the change comes faster than you're ready for...

Lots has happened since the last post. 

First, I have sold my house. Close of escrow is on or before August 19, and I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed. The good news is that the buyers have agreed to clean up the property - I just have to get the house cleaned out. The bad news is that I have to get the house cleaned out.

How can one person accumulate so much crap? Ok, I know that when I moved in here 4.5 years ago, I went from a 1436 sq. ft. house into an 840 sq. ft. house, and didn't have enough room for everything, so I purged big time, I thought. Since then, I've managed to accumulate more stuff, acquired some of Mom's stuff after her passing (I needed a dumpster even before that!!), and now find myself doing the 2nd run through the clothing (how many t-shirts does one need??). I have already taken 4 bags of clothes to Goodwill, and one bag of shoes - my ex used to call me Imelda...

Needless to say, I've been procrastinating. I need to find a flatbed trailer to haul the panel gates and hog and cattle panels over to Correy's, since I don't want to sell them (I might need them someday...). Also, fencing, t-posts and 4 x 4's that can be used for animal stuff. I haven't found a borrow-able trailer yet, and don't want to spend the $$ to rent one.  Correy has generously offered to babysit my loom, and a couple of vintage oak dressers (one is Mission), and all the fiber... I'm not sure she knows how much that is... ;-)

But along with the full-blown panic of moving, there have been some really fun times in the last few weeks. Two weeks ago, I headed over to Correy's to help skirt fleeces (maybe she does understand how much fiber I have after all...), and got to see Who's Your Daddy in person.  Man, is she a pistol! We haltered both foals, and Correy did the initial leading training.

Her colt is relatively mild mannered, and really cute. He's out of her Arab/Appy/Paint mare, Jazz, and her Foundation Quarter Horse Stallion, Duster. The colt's name is Duster's Sunday Surprise, as he was born early on a Sunday morning, when everyone had decided that Jazz was just going to be permanently pregnant (she was about 3 weeks overdue).  He has the greatest markings, and the promise to be a very nice-looking horse (he will be gelded). A couple of pictures:

Whosie (tater is not appropriate), on the other hand, is a total control freak like her mother (and me...). She does NOT want that thing on her head, and she does NOT want to walk with you and she does NOT really care if you touch her or not, even when it feels good.  She threw herself on the ground several times that first time after getting the halter on.  We took advantage of that and scratched her all over, moved her legs around, played with her tail - all the while she was rigid with indignation.  Make no mistake, this filly was NOT afraid. Combined with the fact that this girl is going to be around 15 hands (her knees are already at the same height as Kiri's), it's going to be imperative that I figure out what makes her tick and get her to acquiesce to a human being alpha.  Should be interesting. First picture is before we "tormented" her:

Note how tall she is in this picture - she's one month old - Kiri is about 13.2 (54" at the withers):

After her exhausting afternoon (aren't baby teeth cute?):

Also, here are a couple of pictures that I forgot I had from the Reno trip. These were taken at the marsh about 1/4 mile from my old house.  I swear this Yellowheaded Black Bird was posing:

Not a great picture, but a Great Egret is always fun to see:

And last but not least, this last Sunday, Correy's daughter, Brin , and I went to what turned out to be the finale concert of the Oregon Bach Festival. Brin had gotten a voucher for 2 tickets, and let me choose the concert.  Since the one with Yo Yo Ma was exempted from the voucher (dang...), we went to see Beethoven's 9th Symphony (Ode to Joy).  I've never seen it live, though I have a really nice recording of it. I almost got to sing in it, but had to drop out last fall when I strained my voice trying to sing it.  I'm a first soprano, but there are more high A's in that one piece than I've sung in my whole life up to that point, and it was too much.  Anyway, the music was really good, the soli were adequate, but the chorus rocked! They were so tight, entrances and cut off's were perfect and the sound carried out over the orchestra like ocean waves - there all the time.  I had goosebumps the entire concert.  I'm sure my seatmate (not Brin) was wondering about this loony sitting next to her bouncing her feet and swaying to the music - I just can't help it!!

So, onward. Tonight I'll sort the clothes again... Honest...


Michelle said...

Sounds like a mad dash to the finish for you, girl! I thought about calling several times during my trip, but (obviously) never did. Congrats on selling the place fast; which one took it?

~~Sittin.n.Spinnin said...

Both foals are beautiful! I miss my horses so much. Glad to hear they've cut your work but doing the land themselves. I wish I was there to help.

Leigh said...

The foals are beautiful indeed! Wish I could be a horsie person.

Congratulations on selling your house! What a relief, I'm sure! It's exciting that your plants can go forward now.